We all need water to survive and increasingly there are threats to continued fresh water supply as a result of population growth, surface and groundwater pollution and constrained financing for the treatment of water supplies by municipal governments.
For businesses, sound resource management just makes good business sense particularly for businesses with water intensive production processes. Water conservation is about mitigating business risk.
Just Getting Started
Going a Little Deeper
Transforming Your Organization
- Encourage staff to use efficient rinsing techniques
- Install an instant water heater in your kitchen so you don’t have to let the water run
- Check all hoses, connectors, and faucets regularly for leaks
- Don’t forget hidden water use costs, like energy for pumping, heating and cooling, chemical treatment, and damage and sewer expenses.
- Provide refrigerated drinking water
- Scrape dishes rather than rinsing them before washing
- Water dry spot by hand instead of running the whole irrigation system longer.
- Turn off the water supply system at night or during holidays
- Discard water into plants instead of the drain
- Conduct a water audit and identify water management goals.
- Shut off water to unused areas of your facility to eliminate waste from leaks or unmonitored use
- Install water efficiency devices
- Install infrared sensor faucets
- Replace toilet tanks with low volume tanks
- Replace lawn with low maintenance landscaping options
- Install digitally controlled irrigation system
- Install water monitoring systems
- Create 5-year or 10-year ambitious sustainability vision, goals and targets of success
- Set and implement bold goals to reduce waste, emissions, water and resource use
- Engage employees at all levels in greening the workplace, their homes and communities
- Embed your green goals into your products and services – help your customers “go green”!
- Engage suppliers and business customers in collaborative projects to help achieve your mutual green goals
- Champion green initiatives to your industry association and solve eco-problems together
- Measure and report your progress, share your efforts with others
200+ Simple and Practical Ways to Save Water
BC Water & Waste Association
Tap Map App (Metro Vancouver)
Tips to Conserve Water – Metro Vancouver
Metro Vancouver Water Saving Tips
Water Conservation: Outdoor Tips
City of Burnaby: Water Conservation Tools