With the weather still making us feel festive, the City of Burnaby is continuing the Holiday Sustainability Spirit by making it easy for residents to recycle their Christmas Trees! Check out the information below for details from the City’s website burnaby.ca.
City of Burnaby Christmas Tree Recycling
Curbside Tree Collection
Residential Christmas tree collection will take place from January 16 to 27, 2017. Please place your tree out for collection on January 16 and it will be collected during these two weeks.
Multi-Family Collection Multi-family complexes that have Burnaby garbage/recycling collection service will have Christmas trees collected the week of January 9, 2017. All trees must be placed out by Monday, January 9 in one accessible location. Trees will be collected during this week. Drop-off
- Burnaby’s Eco-Centre accepts Christmas trees free of charge from Burnaby residents (proof of residency required).
- The Eco-Centre will be closed on the following days: Sunday, December 25 and Monday, December 26, 2016 and Sunday, January 1, 2017.
Charity Tree Chipping Events
For Christmas Tree Charity Chipping Events, contact the Recycling Council of BC Recycling Hotline at 604-RECYCLE (732-9253).
Tree Recycling Guidelines
- Remove all ornaments, tinsel and lights
- Do not bag or put your tree in your Green Bin
- Trees over 5′ (feet) must be cut in half
- No artificial trees are accepted
Also, while you are in holiday cleaning mode, don’t forget to take a careful look at other Christmas waste you may have hanging around as a lot of it can be recycled as well! Items such as non-metallic wrapping paper, paper gift bags and greeting cards are welcome additions to your blue bins! Tissue paper, bows and Christmas tree ornaments are not recyclable waste items, however, they can often be reused year after year or re-purposed for other occasions!