Aside from ‘doing the right thing’ there are good reasons to reduce waste. Waste typically costs companies 4.5% of turnover.(Source: Waste Reduction Week Canada). Businesses dedicated to waste reduction can save money, improve compliance with regulations and enhance employee and customer loyalty.
Actions You CanTake
140,000 tonnes of e-waste dumped into our landfills annually which has damaging effects on the environment due to levels of lead, mercury, chromium and arsenic, which are toxic to humans and wildlife. Recycle computers, monitors, cell phones and other electronics at all London Drugs locations, Free Geek and Recycle My Cell Program. (with content from the Green Deal newsletter)
Plastic clogs our landfills and fills our oceans with debris that is lethal to marine life. There is a trash vortex the size of Texas in the North Pacific in which an estimated six kilos of plastic for every kilo of natural plankton. Some plastics in the gyre will not break down in the lifetimes of the grandchildren of the people who threw them away. (Source: Greenpeace International)
Here are a few things you can do to eliminate or reduce your use of plastics:
- Stop using plastic straws, even in restaurants. If a straw is a must, purchase a reusable stainless steel or glass straw.
- Use a reusable produce bag. A single plastic bag can take 1,000 years to degrade. Purchase or make your own reusable produce bag and be sure to wash them often!
- Buy boxes instead of bottles. Often, products like laundry detergent come in cardboard which is more easily recycled than plastic.
- Reuse containers for storing leftovers or shopping in bulk.
- Use a reusable bottle or mug for your beverages, even when ordering from a to-go shop.
- Bring your own container for take-out or your restaurant doggy-bag since many restaurants use styrofoam. (Something we’re doing at the BBOT!)
- Provide a Water Pitcher Filter which can replace as many as 300 standard water bottles (and you can recycle the filters too)! If you’re looking for carbonated beverages, try switching to Soda Stream – I have one and they’re amazing!