Burnaby Board of Trade Pledge
Burnaby Board of Trade Pledge

Have you registered your non-road diesel engine?

Have you registered your non-road diesel engine?
If you own, operate, or hire diesel equipment; Metro Vancouver’s Non-Road Diesel Engine Emission Bylaw 1161 may impact your business. The Bylaw was adopted in 2011 and began taking effect in 2012.
Metro Vancouver is actively enforcing Bylaw 1161 to cut back on harmful diesel soot emissions. “It’s the single most important step we can take to improve air quality and protect the health of our residents,” said Dr. Patricia Daly, Chief Medical Health Officer, Vancouver Coastal Health. “That’s because the fine particles contained in diesel exhaust are a known carcinogen – a carcinogen that is responsible for two-thirds of the lifetime cancer risks from air pollutants in our region.”
“Older non-road diesel engines without emission controls are the main target of the Bylaw. Owners or operators must register their older engines with Metro Vancouver or face serious consequences,” said Ray Robb, Metro Vancouver Division Manager, Environmental Regulation and Enforcement. “Operators of these older engines register and pay fees based on how much harmful diesel soot is emitted by the engine – the good news is that by retiring or upgrading the non-road engine, registrants can receive 80% of fees paid into the program back.”

What you need to do:
– Non-road Tier 0 and Tier 1 engines 25hp and greater must register and pay fees
– Tier 0 engines that have not been registered for at least 90 days before January 1, 2015 will be prohibited from operating in Metro Vancouver
– Equipment owners, operators, contractors, developers and land owners are all responsible for ensuring compliance
– Reduce, eliminate, or recover registration fees paid by improving engine emissions or permanently retiring the non-road engine from Metro Vancouver

Failure to comply with the Bylaw may result in a $1,000 ticket or a fine of up to $200,000
Metro Vancouver staff are here to work with you to comply with Bylaw 1161. Call us at 604-451-6655 or go to www.metrovancouver.org/nonroaddiesel to register your non-road diesel engine and find out more about fee refunds.
View the latest pamphlet here.


Leave a Reply