Alexander College Sustainability Mission Statement
Burnaby Board of Trade member, has long been committed to sustainability through education, community engagement and modelling waste reduction best practices. They aim to produce environmentally responsible global citizens and contribute to the overall health of the communities in which they live.
This is their pledge:
- Increase student, staff, and faculty awareness of the importance of implementing sustainable practices in the school environment and beyond
- Serve as a resource on recycling and waste management questions, energy and water conservation, environmentally preferable purchasing, and other initiatives
- Collect, measure, and report on AC’s environmental performance in order to initiate alternatives to existing practices that will positively affect the environment Foster individual growth and development by supporting each student’s academic achievement and involvement in the community life of the College.
- Institute energy and water conservation strategies, as well as environmentally friendly purchasing strategies, including a preference for reusable and compostable materials
- Promote AC as an environmentally conscious institution and cultivate sustainable habits that have widespread effects for the community
- Improve the effectiveness and accessibility of AC’s waste management system by implementing multi-waste sorting bins in common areas and classrooms
- Communicate and model best practices for sorting and disposing of waste, recycling, and compost
- Increase and promote recycling and composting while contributing to larger regional waste diversion goals
- Create and facilitate frequent green events, including: beach and park clean-ups, gardening events, and lunch-and-learn sessions
- Create and promote ongoing volunteer and educational opportunities for all members of the AC community to take part in eco-friendly initiatives and events