Congratulations to all the winners of this year’s City of Burnaby Environmental Awards! Special mention to BBOT member Appia Development, BBOT Pledge members False Creek Collision Eco, Gateway Casinos and Entertainment and L’arche Greater Vancouver, and BC Technology for Learning Society.
Environmental Awards Program 2016
For 2016, the City of Burnaby is please to acknowledge the following individuals, groups and businesses who have made significant contributions to the sustainability of Burnaby’s Environment:
- False Creek Collision Eco, in the category of Business Stewardship, for their outstanding efforts to invest in new technologies that improve air quality and reduce energy consumption and for providing leadership in environmental sustainability to their industry.
- Burnaby Residents Opposing Kinder Morgan Expansion (BROKE), in the category of Community Stewardship, for their outstanding efforts to educate Burnaby residents about the pipeline expansion project and the potential risks to our community and the environment.
- Barb McMahon, founder of Sprouting Chefs, in the category of Green Choices, for her outstanding efforts to educate students in Burnaby about growing food, creating community, environmental sustainability, and leadership.
- Appia Developments Ltd., in the category of Planning and Development, for the Solo District and use of a low carbon geothermal exchange system that will significantly reduce annual greenhouse gas emissions from the operation of the buildings.
- Gateway Casinos and Entertainment Ltd. and L’Arche Greater Vancouver, in the category of Business Stewardship, for their outstanding project and partnership that achieved energy use efficiencies at the L’Arche office in Burnaby.
- BC Technology for Learning Society, in the category of Business Stewardship, for refurbishing used computers as part of the Computers for Schools Program and for implementing environmental sustainability initiatives as part of their business operations.
- Ruth Walmsley, in the category of Community Stewardship, for her outstanding efforts and dedication to raising awareness of a significant environmental issue through her efforts with the community group Burnaby Residents Opposing Kinder Morgan Expansion (BROKE).
- Dave Stafford, in the category of Community Stewardship, for his outstanding service with the Burnaby Lake Park Association.
- Lochdale Community School Green Team, in the category of Youth, for educating their classmates about waste reduction and recycling.
View a complete list of past recipients.